Re: crocs eating hadrosaurs (was Gr. 9 sci proj)

>>Don't humans regularly go into the waters of the Nile, the Everglades,
>>and the Louisiana Bayous with very little chance of being eaten?  Aren't
>>there animals that frequent crocodile waters but have little chance of
>>being eaten?  How about panthers and manatees?  Are these waters
>>inhabited only be crocs?
>
>Manatees are saltwater animals, not freshwater like the American alligator.
>The Florida Panther is another name for the cougar/puma/mountain lion, and
>doesn't go swimming if it can help it. Humans who go into the bayous and
>Everglades usually go in boats.
>        It might interest you to know that in South America jaguars are known
>to occasionally eat crocodiles. But in their habitat, crocs are the top
>predator.

Manatees are regularly found in freshwater rivers that are connected to the
ocean, often many miles inland. Also, several times I have observed American
alligators in completely saline environments. These two animals do coexist,
but it seems improbable that gators would bother a manatee. With the
exception of juveniles, a manatee's body has a very large circumference.
Even the largest gator would only be able to get its jaws around a flipper,
fluke, or head. It is unlikely that a gator would bother to attack a manatee
with the abundance of raccoons, wading birds, stray dogs, and other easily
obtainable prey items that frequent the water's edge. I would doubt that
manatees had any predators before us pesky humans, because they do not have
any means of defense or escape. If they did have any predators, they would
not be the slow, lethargic animals they are. Zebras, antelopes, etc, at
least have a chance at getting away from a croc, and are terrestrial, only
coming in contact with croc habitat when drinking or crossing a river.
Gators and manatees are both aquatic and cohabitate with each other most of
the time. If they regularly fed on manatees, there would be very few left.

As for Florida panthers, they do have a higher tolerance for water than the
cougars found elsewhere in the New world. This is because this subspecies
often can not avoid contact with water at certain times of the year. It
needs to drink anyway, so it does come in contact with gator habitat. I am
sure that a gator would attack a FL panther if it needed to, but as I said
before, there is a greater abundance of more appropriately sized animals
visiting the water's edge that would be easier to subdue, thus wasting less
energy. Nile crocodiles on the other hand have a greater abundance of larger
animals entering their domain, and likewise, they make use of what they have
available to them.

I have encountered numerous alligators (even bumped into one in murky water
once) when diving in Florida's rivers for fossils and have never had any
problems.

As for the relevancy of all that I have stated above to this thread, I am a
new subscriber to this list and therefore have not seen any previous posting
that led up to the posting I am responding to. I am hoping that this is
relavent to the topic.
If it isn't, I am sorry about my non-dinosaurian ramblings. Back to the Dinos!
(Speaking of non-dinosaurs, I am a paleomammal artist. If anyone is
interested in any of my custom paintings, t-shirts, or illustrations let me
know)

Happy New Year!

Adam Black

.              Adam Black                  .
.           PALEO-MAMMAL ART               .
.    Custom Artwork of Cenozoic Fauna      .
.          paleoart@digital.net            .
.            Gainesville, Fl               .