Re: T-rex could kick

>        About kicking as a means of defense or offense; an Aussie friend
>of mine had roos on his farm and said itwas important to keep a big roo
>off balance because thay would come up to a person and lash out with one
>foot in a potential disemboweling kick. I suppose they used the tail for
>balance but maybe T-rex or???? did too.

Having been on the recieving ends of such bouts, I can tell you that the
roo kicks with both feet, simultaneously, while balancing on its tail and
usually with its forearms locked on to your head or arm. Luckily, my
encounters have been with roos too small to reach my important bits or I am
sure I would not be in posession of them at the moment. There are stories
of people being disemboweled by roos in similar situations but I am not
aware of any authenticated records. I don't think this provides a suitable
analog for kicking tyrannosaurs.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist