TEENAGE BARYONYX

As I write (sometime in early January) I don't know if the list is active. What
the hell: hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year. As they say, I know I did.

1997 looks set to be a great year for fans of _Baryonyx_, Britain's most
publicised new dinosaur. A monograph is coming out, and Angela Milner and
colleagues have now reconstructed in extreme detail the better part of the
missing elements. Before the Xmas hols, part of a BBC show called _How do they
do that?_ dealt with the reconstruction of extinct dinosaurs from bones and
other evidence, and _Baryonyx_ was used as a case study. We got to see a
wonderful restored and fully articulated series of cervical vertebrae. Most
interesting also was the interview with Milner herself. She now thinks that the
type specimen is ONLY HALF GROWN in which case the adult "may have been twice
as big". Milner said this with a rather worried look on her face, and referred
to new Moroccan material (i.e. of _Spinosaurus_, which Milner has shown *is*
demonstrably related to _Baryonyx_ after all).

Meanwhile, Luis Rey has managed to get hold of _The Art of Gregory S. Paul_ for
me, from a friend who actually went to Japan to get them. Can't wait to see it.
I've been involved in various projects, including one on eagles as predators of
_large_ prey. It's surprising and not generally appreciated how nasty the big
eagles can be. Golden eagles (_Aquila chrysaetos_) have killed adult sheep,
pronghorn, coyote and mule deer, and a recent paper by Robert Phillips et al of
the Animal Damage Control (ADC) programme describes attacks on domestic calves.
Upper weight limit of victims was 114 kg. Next stop: accounts of human death
caused by eagles.

"Whoah - look at the butt on that!"
"Yeah. He must work out"    (60%)

DARREN NAISH