Re: Crocodiles and Dinosaurs

Mickey Rowe wrote:

>[ I've received another message suggesting that the dinosaur-eating
>  crocodile thread has outlived its usefulness.  I recommend that people use
>  the above to create a final summary rather than a launching point for
>  continued discussion.  -- MR ]

Suitabley chastised, here is my summary.

It all started when I was a little boy (Ooops, wrong list).

It all started when Stephen Throop raised some intriguing notions about
hadrosaurs and the possibility that they were too smart to be eaten by
crocs.

Most of my refutations have been in an attempt to show that, because they
were common and, in many respects, their behaviour was probably similar to
that of large herding mammals in Africa, the relationship between
hadrosaurs and crocodiles was probably similar to that between modern
herding herbivores and crocodiles. Along the way we got caught up with
crows, hippos and egg-eating snakes and, despite some rather robust humour,
I hope that the whole discussion was amicable.

But, just to finish on a parting thought. Modern crocs in the Northern
Territory regularly leap vertically out of the water (usually for lumps of
meat offered from passing tourist boats). Crocs around 3 metres in length
can clear almost 2 metres of the tip of their snout above the water
surface. I have heard that Nile crocs have been observed using the same
technique to take wildebeast from 2 metre high river banks. This acrobatic
feat is possible through powerful movements of the tail. Now, allowing for
scaling effects and assuming that Deinosuchus had similar acrobatic
abilities of modern crocs, imagine how fat it could launch its self out of
the water. At 14 metres of more long, it would seam that it could easily
take a standing tyrannosaur in a headlock.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd