Re: Tripping the light fantastic (was _T. rex_ strikes)

Anguillas@aol.com wrote:

> I agree that pulling in the arms would probably make things more difficult
> for a falling Rex; it would end up taking the fall on the chin.  I suggest
> the opposite: in a fall, Rex would extend the arms to act as a combination
> shock absorber and springboard, bringing the animal back into an upright
> position.  The question remains on whether Rex's arms would be able to
> withstand the stresses generated by such an action.

If Rex extended his arms during a fall, with his mass he would break his arms
like twigs.  Most likely he tucked them in to protect his arms from such a
fate, just as most people do when they take a fall at high speeds.  However, I
think that looking at the arms as an important factor during a fall may be a
red herring.  Most likely it was just something that they had to handle as
best they could with what they had.

Joe