Re: My Gr. 9 Sc. Fair Project Summary

Della Drury writes:

>If my reasoning is correct, the call of parasaurolophus
>should have been a long throbbing note which was alternately loud and soft
>every 0.6 seconds.
>
>Does anyone have any comments on this idea?

Not bad for a start.  Here are a few additional things to consider, which may
or may not adapt your hypothesis.

Your analysis of hadrosaur airways seems fairly complete, and looks to be
well thought out.  However, would the fact that hadrosaur air passages would
be lined by tissue of some kind (not to mention the nasal passages in the
"beak") affect the harmonics by absorbing some of the sound energy?  Perhaps
if you lined your models with some kind of slime, you may get a better
picture of the harmonics.

The harmonic aspects may also change depending on how hard the air is sent
through the airway.  I know that it would be difficult to reproduce the song
of an American Robin through airway reconstruction (although we might be able
to get the call note), so I wonder waht kind of range one could get out of
the hadrosaur crest?  Then again, maybe the invention of complex calls is
unique to songbirds only?

On the whole, I think you have something good here.  With a little work, you
may have a publishable paper on your hands.