furcula, ptero ptracks

        Well, I tried to find the "struthiomimus gastralia" in Norman's
Illustrated Dino encyclopedia, no luck. I would assume that they are based
on the AMNH specimen of this animal (I couldn't find them in Russel's
paper on ornithomimes) except I can't make out the large first
"gastralium" the illustration shows, which I still think, because of it's
size and shape, is drawn after a furcula. Whether such a bone exists for
Struthiomimus, I don't know, it may have been drawn after, for ex. the
Allosaurus gastralium now known to be a furcula. It seems to have the same
curvature as a furcula and the opposite curvature of the gastralia,
besides being thicker than any of the gastralia . It's probably not
impossible, though, that it is just another gastralium. Does anyone know
how to get ahold of Norman and ask him where that illustration comes from?
        The other nifty thing I've found is that there are some more
pterosaur tracks, apparently with feeding traces (bill marks!) but
apparently without the hind feet. However, since in Pteraichnus the manus
presses much deeper into the ground than the webbed pes, and there is a
pteraichnus known with only the manus prints present, there is no reason t
asume automatically that they were swimming or anything (tho this is
possible, one supposes) since, after all, the same thing is known for
apparent brachiosaur prints and according to Lockley and Hunt just
represents the great amount of weight present on the small front feet.
        (prints originally from Dinosaur Tracks and Traces, reinterpreted
in Lockley and hunt book (1995). The prints seem to mill about all over
the place and overlap each other, and are not like the purposeful seeming
paces seen in other pterosaur tracks.

        Nick L.