Re: Radioactive fossils (was: "Sue", the K-T event, and an exploding planet.)

>Tom Holtz writes:
>
>>I've not heard of the Hell Creek and Lance Formations as radioactive
>>bone producers, but the Morrison Formation (Upper Jurassic western
>>North America) and the Sivalik Group (Tertiary of Pakistan) are
>>famous for their radioactive dinosaurs and mammals, respectively.
>
>If the conditions are right, we can get radioactive fossils in the Hell
>Creek.

What happens with these fossils when they go to museums and universities?
Are there any special provisions for safety in storage, and handling them
for study?  What about public display?  Like, how radioactive are they?

[ This topic was discussed a while back on the VRTPaleo mailing list.
  I recommend that if anyone else wants to pursue the topic, please
  look at what was written there.  From my searches it looks like the
  relevant material went through during September and October of 1995,
  and August of 1996.  To get those files (although each is a month's
  worth of postings, the traffic on VRTPaleo isn't that high, so these
  files aren't very big) write to listproc@usc.edu with the following
  three lines constituting the body of your message:

get vrtpaleo log9509
get vrtpaleo log9510
get vrtpaleo log9608

  -- MR ]