lightening bones -Reply

Nick Longrich wrote:

> Since pleurocoels are also found in pterosaurs and even in some
> crocs, if I recall, this would seem to be a secondary loss (unless they
> are there. anyone know?).

Do crocodilians have pleurocoels?  Do you mean modern crocs or extinct
crocs?  Does anyone have a reference for this?  Since crocs form one
part of the extant phylogenetic bracket, the presence of pleurocoels in
crocs would shed new light on dinosaur lung structure.

James M. Norton, Ph.D.
University of New England
11 Hill's Beach Road
Biddeford, ME  04005