RE: Hadrosaur vocalizations and predator hearing

Della asked:

> 5.  After I asked for comments about my project summary, Dr. Jason
> J.  Head of Southern Methodist University sent a message in which he
> made the following points:
> a) A keen sense of smell would make it unnecessary for a predator to
> hear the vocalizations of its prey.  (snip)
> b) A herd of animals makes so much noise that there is no point in
> worrying about specific frequencies.
> c) Low frequencies are difficult to locate. (snip) Do I have to
> change my hypothesis again or is there someone out there who can
> counter these arguments?

 There is not enough evidence to indicate that Parasaurolophus and other
hadrosaurs spent all their time in a herd.  Dr. Head is saying low
frequency are not necessary to a herd animal.  So is there enough
evidence in the fossil record to indicate that hadrosaurs were
exclusively herd animals?  Did they sneak off from the herd/flock to
mate, perhaps?  Did they have solitairy males seperate from the
herd/flock?  Were males part of the same herd/flocks as the females?
 Were there multiple males in a flock/herd or only a single dominate
male?  What happeneds with the other males not part of the flock/herd?
 Until these are as clearly understood about hadrosaurs as they are in
modern animals (which isn't likely any time soon), you are still open as
to why they may have used low frequencies seemingly unnecessary to a
herding animal.  IMHO.

 -Betty Cunningham