Re: CROC PLEUROCOELS

Darren Naish wrote:

>I'm pretty sure they don't. They do have air-filled sinuses in skull bones and
>vertebrae, but these are closed (unlike pleurocoels which are linked to the
>lungs and air sacs). In the 19th century there was argument over whether
>sauropod pleurocoels were homologues of the crocodile sinuses - more recently
>it's become evident that they are not closed, so are not the same. I think
>turtles have similar sinuses in their skulls at least.
>
>Shoot me down if I'm off base here...

Darren, I would love to shhot you down, but, unfortunately, you are
correct. To the best of my knowledge and having looked at numerous fossil
crocs, I can't think of having ever seen anything that could be hmologous
to pleurocoels as seen on dinosaurs.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist