Re: CROC PLEUROCOELS -Reply

James M. Norton wrote,

>I don't know of any evidence for such a structure in the vicinity of
>dinosaur pleurocoels or the putative pleurocoels in crocodilian
>skulls.  If anyone has evidence that the croc pleurocoels are
>permanently air-filled, please let me know of it.

I can dig out the references but, to the best of my casual knowledge, the
sinus system in the back of croc skulls is completely enclosed and
air-filled. The function of this system is unknown. Check out Iordansky
(1973) in the Biology of Reptiles series. I can't recall any more recent
work that adds anything new to what he had to say about this.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd