Re: Size and longevity

--- Begin Message ---
GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> It appears that animals that grow through life - reptiles, some crustaceans,
> etc - literally do not age physiologically. They are perpetual juveniles with
> immortal cells, strong immune systems, good nerves and vigorous muscle
> contractions. In other words, because they never stop growing, they never get
> around to aging! Animals that cease growth - such as we poor humans - have
> cells that are literally programmed to die after about 100 cell divisions (as
> it happens you can read about this in my new book BEYOND HUMANITY, in the
> section that discusses why human immortality probably is possible with the
> right genetic engineering maybe with a little nanotech thrown in - and why it
> is not the best idea). So we keel over no matter what. Reptiles, however,
> always die from something bad happening to them. You know, starvation,
> disease, accident, predation. Example, the oldest known animal was a captive
> tortoise that died at age 152+ (twas a baby when caught) from an accident. It
> appears statistically extremely improbable that any given reptile will live
> beyond 100-150 years, maybe less in the dangerous wild. Which is a good
> thing, because if the old folks stay around they will compete with their own
> young too much.

This isn't really true.  Reptile cells do age.  Admittedly, they do last about
as long as
ours but senesce they do.  How do I know?  Besides the papers published by Sam
Goldstein
and Elena Moerman, I've grown tortoise fibroblasts myself.  They obey their own
Hayflick
limit just like every other nonimmortalized fibroblast.  Perhaps you could give
me some
references, but I've never seen immortal reptile cells that weren't
artificially made that
way by SV40 transformation.

Joe Daniel

--- End Message ---