Re: My apologies, but... physiology revisited

Mickey Rowe writes:

>IMHO it seems more than a little arrogant
>  for you to assume that Ruben et al. don't know the basic facts
>  above.  Read Ruben's 1995 review paper and I'm reasonably confident
>  you'll find he knows more about it than you do, Rob.

Oh, lighten up.

I have no problem admitting my ignorance on the subject, that's why I asked
the question, and brought up a *possible* objection.  What that does, is
allow those better versed on the subject to show if my objection is valid or
not; if it turns out that Jones and Company have taken care of the
objections, then so be it.  If there is a good answer, then I'll tuck.

The problem I have on this (and one that has not really been answered yet) is
that there are a series of assumptions being made: since birds and mammals
are both endotherms, they must solve the problems of endothermy in the exact
same way (it is always dangerous to make general assumptions about a trait,
look what happened to me with the "advantages of bipedalism" thread).  Admitte
dly, a case for convergent evolution can be made, and if evidence is
presented that allows this, then I'll tuck.

Ultimately, knowledge will be advanced by asking questions.  Either I will be
shown my ignorance (no shame in that), or those doing the research will be
given a few new things to consider (giving them a stronger body of work to
present).  Our science is built on asking questions, and just assuming that
"those who are doing the work know what they are doing" is going to be
shortsighted (if we are about to undergo a medical treatment, do we just
trust that the doctor knows what he is prescribing, or do we want to know all
the risks/benefits of the procedure before giving our concent).  In the same
way, if research is being presented on the dinolist, then it is open to
debate; this allows those with objections to have them voiced and answered,
when the objections are relaxed, then the dinolist can give it's consent by
ending the thread.  Anyone who has a question should be allowed to ask it,
without being blowtorched.  The person always takes a risk of making a fool
of himself/herself by asking a question, but the science will be forwarded
from the question.

End of Rant.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
"Can't I have a little bit of peril?"
"Then you are cast into the gorge of Eternal Peril!"
                        [maybe not such a bad place after all]
        -MPATHG