Re: Clade II

From: Jeffrey Martz <martz@holly.ColoState.EDU

 > I. THE DUAL NATURE OF CLADISTICS
 >      As I see it cladistics serves two main functions, one very well,
 > the other less so.  I feel these functions were confused in the debate
 > on cladistics in November, so I want to spell them out now:
 > A. PHYLOGENETIC INFERRENCE
 > B. GROUPING

Good points. In fact I *try* to say much the same things in my paper
on classification on my dinosaur Web page.
(http://www.crl.com/~sarima/dinosaurs/)

Would you mind too much if I added some of your comments to my Web page?

 > ANCESTRAL SPECIES ARE PARAPHYLETIC

Man, you have ALL of my points!

Also, given that according to the rules of nomenclature all species
must be assigned to a genus, then either the genus containing the
ancestral species is paraphyletic or all living things belong to one
genus.

The peace of God be with you.