Re: natural Groups (was Re: Clade II)

Caitlin R. Kiernan writes:
>martz@holly.ColoState.EDU wrote:
>>Species do not naturally aggregate themselves into "groups".

>Nor do individuals and populations of individuals naturally aggregate
>themselves into "groups" (which we tend to call "species," "subspecies,"
>"varieties," and so forth). There are no "natural groups" beyond the flexible
>boundaries of a given population.
        However, as Gauthier and DeQuiroz have pointed out (if anyone is
interested in the ref., please e-mail me, or check out Holtz 1996),
monophyletic groups are *real entities*, in a sense that no other grouping
is.  Rather than read my rehash of their arguments, I hope you will want to
read the paper.
        I have not seen any demonstration that a population is necessarily a
real or "natural" group, but I eager to hear one.
        Wagner