Re: Low Frequencies....

Martin Human wrote:
 However, given that elephants use them (demonstrated),
> and that elephants are large predator-free animals (except for man, and I
> can't
> imagine LF were developed for _our_ non-benefit), the question is:
> -  do they indeed develop the ability to communicate this way as a means of
> not
> alerting predators, or
> - did they develop this simply because size = ability to produce low
> frequencies?
>
> Just pointing to possible red herrings (I _think_ I am anyway).
>
> martin@hpentccl.grenoble.hp.com
Actually, I think the question is more: Given that LF sounds propagate
farther in air than HF sounds (particular in brushy or otherwise
obstacle-laden areas), are either of those other two potential reasons
likely to be necessary or even important in development of that type of
communication?
                JR