Re: Clade II (fwd)

I wrote...
>  > ANCESTRAL SPECIES ARE PARAPHYLETIC
Stan Friesen wrote...
> Man, you have ALL of my points!

     I actually got this one from Paul Sereno's paper on cladistics in
"Dinosaur Systematics".  I wouldn't have thought of it if he hadn't
brought it up.  He states directly that ancestral species are
paraphyletic, then tries to wave it away by saying "but we can ignore
that because we can't detect them".  An awfully flimsy rationale for a
taxonomic system that claims to be 0% artificial.  I don't mean to be
overly harsh on Dr. Sereno, I just happened to have read his
papers while studying up on cladistics.

LN Jeff