Re: A QUESTION CONCERNING RTs IN NAKED MOLE RATS

Jeffery Martz writes:

>Peter Bucholtz writes:
>> That is, do Naked Mole Rats [_Heterocephalus glaber_] even have respitory
>> turbinates at all?  If they are so useless to ectotherms as Ruben et al
>> claim, then there should be no use for them in ectothermic NMRs.
>
>     Even if they are present, they may well just be a useless ancestral
>feature that hasn't had time to atrophy.

Anyone know when NMR's made the transition to a fully "sub-terrestrial"
lifestyle?  This may help us to see (assuming we find RT's in NMR's) whether
the feature is similar to our appendix, or if it has a current use.  If it was
a recent transition to it's current lifestyle, then the former is more likely.

As always, when in doubt, take it to the lab.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist
***
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."
        -Susan Ivanova