Re: Clade II

From: Dinogeorge@aol.com
 > Indeed, it is very amusing to see, in a few very recent articles on the
 > origins of humans (even in a 1996 issue of _Science_) that quite clearly
 > depict the descent of the genus _Homo_ from within the genus
 > _Australopithecus_, making _Australopithecus_ thoroughly paraphyletic.

Uh-huh.

And in fact, unless some of the very early hominid specimens turn
out to belong to the _Homo_ clade, then Australopithecus *is*
paraphyletic.

[There are some who claim that hominids split into two clades shortly
after _Ardepithecus_ (?spelling), but I am still skeptical of this].

The peace of God be with you.