Re: (fwd) Plesiosaurus: Who / How named?

Stephanie wrote:

>Hi, my name is Stephanie. I am doing a report on plesiosaurus. >I have a lot
of information already. One thing my teacher >asked is who named it?

_Plesiosaurus_ was originally discovered by the English fossil collector,
Mary Anning, in 1821.  Her specimen was described and named by H.T. De La
Beche and William D. Conybeare that same year.

ref.:

De La Beche, H.T. and Conybeare, W.D.. 1821. Notice of the discovery of a new
fossil animal, forming a link between the _Ichthyosaurus_ and crocodile,
together with general remarks on the osteology of the _Ichthyosaurus_.
Transactions of the Geological Society of London, 5: pp. 559-594.

Note: Palaeontologists no longer believe that _Plesiosaurus_ or the other
plesiosauroids represent an evolutionary link "between the _Ichthyosaurus_
and crocodile."

Hope this helps.

Caitlin R. Kiernan