Re: Sinosauropteryx prima proper?

In a message dated 97-01-26 03:07:05 EST, jpoling@dinosauria.com (Jeff
Poling) writes:

<< Since George announced that a paper *has* been published on
 Sinosauropteryx, a thought suddenly crossed my mind (I know, it scared me,
 too):  does this mean that Sinosauropteryx prima is the proper name of the
 animal, and a more "suitable" name cannot be applied to it? >>

Yes, this is exactly what it means. The only ways the name can be changed are
(1) to synonymize the genus with a genus named earlier (_Compsognathus_ is a
possibility, but from the photos I've seen, this is unlikely) or (2) petition
the ICZN to suppress/change the name on the grounds that it is inappropriate
(by, say, being morally offensive to some people: very difficult to
establish!).