EARLY MANIRAPTORS PT II

Darren Naish wrote:

>As for the earliest reliably reported ornithomimid, _Pelecanimimus polyodon_
>from the Las Hoyas deposits, Jerry points out that it's Hauterivian-Barremian.
>He adds:
>
>> The lesser known but similar deposits in Lleida have been dated as
>> Berriasian-Valanginian, but I don't know how much I trust the dates of
>> either set.
>
>I haven't heard of these deposits (Lleida ones). Anything we should be
>interested in? Sigh, too many animals, not enough time. At least I got the
>conodonts out of the way..

Las Hoyas outcrop is Upper Barremian in age. The deposits from Lleida, known
as Sierra de El Montsec, gave the primitive bird _Noguerornis_. They are
Valanginian in age.

Talk to you later, Nino.
Bernardino P. Perez-Moreno                   Fax: 34-1-3978344
Unidad de Paleontologia                      E-mail: Nino@uam.es
Departamento de Biologia                     Phone: 34-1-3978139
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
28049 - Madrid
SPAIN