BIRD-THEROPODS NS ARTICLE

Hi all.

Feb 1st's _New Scientist_ (153: 26-31) has an article called 'Birds do it.. did
dinosaurs'. Basically a look at the bird-theropod theory (and it made the
cover). Haven't read it yet, but it looks OK. The new Chinese finds, including
_Liaoningornis_ and _Sinosauropteryx_, are discussed in there somewhere.

Most of the accompanying illustrations they used (including ones on the cover!)
are of pterosaurs (_Pterodactylus kochi_ skeleton and a few John Sibbick
rhamphorhynchoid heads)...

Anyway, check it out.

Looks like _Sinosauropteryx_ will get the treatment in _Nature_. I hope and pray
that someone - someone! - has done a high-resolution _proper_ analysis (SEM scan
or whatever) of the purported 'feathers' for this paper. Keep your digits
crossed..

"They say time is the fire in which we burn"

I still like that one.

DARREN NAISH
dwn194@soton.ac.uk