Bird stuff

     I would appreciate it if someone would give me the reference for the
BCF article in Omni.  To my embarrasment, I don't know the name of
Alan Fedducia's recent book on bird origins, if someone could give me the
title and publishing info on that as well.
     I would also appreciate it if someone could give me a reference for a
paper or papers relating to bird origins, the evolutionary development of
feathers, or (perhaps best yet) the thermoregulatory performance of
feathers as compared to that of hair, from one or more of the following
journals:

     Auk                Ecology
     Condor             Animal Behavior
     Wilson Bulleton    Canadian Journal of Ecology
     Ibis               Journal of Animal Ecology
                        Oikos
                        Behavioral Ecology

      For that matter, I would appreciate any references at all on the
thermoregulatory performance of feathers or thier evolution, including
that experiment that links them biochemically to scutes.  I am mainly
interested in if there is any good reason, from a thermoregulatory
standpoint, for a feather to have a rachis.
     It seems to me like the presence of a rachis is the only possible
impediment to feathers having originally served as insulation before being
adapted for flight.  The presence of interlocking barbules on contour
feathers is not nonadaptive; they serve to streamline flying birds.  Both
the presence of plumaceous feathers UNDERNEATH the contour feathers of
birds and the fact that ground birds barbs tend to get fluffy suggests
that contour feathers with barbules are as adaptive for flight as the
remices (was Fedducia's argument that rachi or barbules on contour
feathers were nonadaptive?) Is there any indication, besides the presence
of a rachis, that contour and flight feathers were derived from plumaceous
feathers rather then the other way around?  Do plumaceous feather barbs
have atrophied barbules?  Is there any indication in neossoptiles are
phylogenetically more ancient than teleoptiles?

LN Jeff
O-