Re: Mesozoic plants?

 Jonathon Woolf <jwoolf@erinet.com> wrote:

> Over and over, I read reports about the Mesozoic including large numbers
> of very massive herbivorous dinosaurs: eight or ten tons apiece for the
> average hadrosaur, anywhere between eight and eighty tons for a
> sauropod, ten tons or so for a ceratopsid, etc.  Not only that, but we
> also find evidence of _herds_ of these beasts.  Ten thousand maiasaurs.
> Thousands of centrosaurs.  Vast bone beds of styracosaurs and
> gryposaurs.  Sauropods moving in bands of ten or twenty.  It would
> appear from the evidence that western North America during the Late
> Jurassic or Late Cretaceous supported at least ten times the herbivore
> biomass supported by the Serengeti/Masai Mara of today or the American
> Great Plains of a few centuries ago.

Not so long ago the American high plains was covered in buffalo
grass.  This grass came up to a horse riders legs.  It covered the
prairie from Texas to the Mississippi up into Canada.  It supported
an estimated 30,000,000 bison. Bison are up to six feet tall and
weigh 2000lbs.  By contrast the Serengeti/Masai supports 1.5 million
wildebeest.

As always, this is only an opinion, subject to
retraction and recall without notice, and with
due respect to others opinions.

Thanks,

Michael Teuton MD