Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 19:46:17 +1100
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
From: pwillis@ozemail.com.au (Paul Willis)
Subject: Re: Fwd: Warm-Blooded debate

Once more, thanks again Mary.

>It is in fact true that crocs are hard pressed to combat mammals after the
>initial rush.

<SNIP>

This is a big generalisation that is easily swamped by the huge variety of
variable parameters. Substrate condition, ambient tempreture, condition of
the croc, condition of the prey, relative sizes of the croc to the prey,
etc., etc,., will all have effects on how hard a croc will press and attack
and form the attack will take. While wildlife documentaries do like to show
big crocs leaping out of the water, biting a large mammal on the bum and
holding on until the prey dies or escapes, this does not represent the full
range of croc hunting strategies. Some smaller crocs will press an attack
if the prey (mammalian or not) is big enough to subdue but not big enough
to require unwarrented effort. In such cases, crocs will let go for the
chance of a better grip, particularly where the substrate does not favour
the prey. Really small crocs, such as Paleosuchus and Osteolaemus, have
been observed having quite prolonged, complicated struggles with larger
prey items (including mammals).

So, while the above observation may be generally true in particular
circumstances, it is not generally true across the crocodiles and across
the range of prey types and environmental settings. What is possibly does
represent is prejudiced view of what ought to happen in encounters between
ectotherms and endotherms.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis