Re: Stegosaur plates as protection......

At 06:54 PM 6/30/97 -0500, Mark wrote:

>Jurassic theropods were certainly not so top-heavy as a T. rex, but I still
>rather doubt they would have grabbed a Stegosaur by the underside of the
>throat.

Especially since the neck of Stegosaurus, at least, was heavily armored, as
documented by the two road-kill specimens and excellently mounted by Ken
Carpenter in the Denver Museum.  (The technology to do such mounts was
absent in previous decades, so none of the older mounts show the "chainmail"
arrangement of armor on the neck of Stegosaurus).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661