Re: Dinos - Comics

I know this isn't exactly serious dinosaurs, as someone has already
noted.  But, for a chnage of pace, I can add a little to the list of
comics showing dinosaurs.  Those that I mention here that aren't entire
series are just the ones I have in my own collection (my secret's out!).
I'm not aware
of any master compilation, so nobody really knows how many more might be
lurking out there.  I just keep my eyes open.

Some of these have just pterosaurs, plesiosaurs, pelycosaurs, or some
other extinct reptile, but the authors and artists may have considered
all such animals to be dinosaurs.  Some of the "dinosaurs" are rather
fanciful.  Just about all of them, including the herbivores, wear scowls
and have wicked-looking, sharp teeth, ready to crunch any humans they can
catch.

Since garrison (Re: It's war, I tell you!; 6/26/97; 7:44a) commented on
war comics with dinosaurs, I've listed those first.  These are series,
with many (or all??) having dinosaur encounters:

Four **** Battle (in case this doesn't come throug in e-mail, that's Four
Star Battle)
G. I. War Tales
Star Spangled War Stories
Weird War Tales (including Weird War Tales starring The G. I. Robot)

One of my favorite series is Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, which mutated from
Xenozoic Tales in 1990, since I am the proud owner of a "funky" 1976
Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance with full sunroof and 500 cu.
inch power plant, Indiana licence plate "T REX"--it seemed approporiate
for the vehicle, which works and looks fine, but isn't driven too much
anymore.  I got a kick out of the name for one of the heros of the
series, Jack Tenrec.  You thermoregulation officianadoes might also
appreciate that.

The longest series that always had dinosaurs or some kind of prehistoric
critters was Turok, Son of Stone, with at least 130 issues.  I have 55 of
those, including issues no. 1 (1956) and 2.  Turok, Dinosaur Hunter is a
recent reincarnation. There was a very abrupt drop in the quality of the
cover artwork from issue 129 to 130, the latter being the most recent
issue (1982) I have.  The new style cover art looks like something on a
Donald Duck comic, and could well have killed the whole thing off.  As
Dinogeorge pointed out, Whitman was the nameplate on later (actually,
more than half) of the issues.  Dell was the trademark of Western
Printing and Lithograph Company; Gold Key and Whitman are both trademarks
of Western Publishing Company.  I don't know, but I assume that Western
Publishing is a descendant of Western Printing and Lithograph.

Devil Dinosaur was mentioned earlier as a forgettable series.  I have
nos. 1-9 of that, and issue no. 1 cost me one dollar--which shows just
how forgettable the series is (and also reflects a more recent vintage).
Issue no. 1 for Turok cost me, shall we say, considerably more.

My favorite artwork is in the series Rip in Time, a five-issue series by
Fantagor Press; Richard Corbin was the artist.

Richard Corbin also did a dinosaur issue for Ray Bradbury Comics (Topps).

Others:

Ka-Zar, Lord of the Hidden Jungle; then Ka-Zar the Savage, a later
series, both by Marvel comics; Ka-Zar, Lord of the Jungle first appeared
in joint issues with Dr. Doom (1969 or 70); in 1981, Ka-Zar teamed up
with the Hulk--ugh!

Arak, Son of Thunder was a Turok look-alike by DC.

Conan The Barbarian was mentioned already.  There was also a series
called King Conan, in which he once encountered dinosaurs; also Conan
Saga.

Dinosaurs for Hire (Malibu Comics) was actually a spoof on some genre,
but I'm not sure which genre is being spoofed (you gotta see it!).

Batman Family battled dinosaurs in v. 2, no. 3; it was just Batgirl and
Robin.  In Marvel Fanfare a bunch of superheros ran afoul of dinosaurs.
There were also dinos in one issue of Alpha Flight; also in at least one
issue of X-Men Adventures and one of Classic X-Men--I'm not sure what the
difference is; one issue of Wonder Woman, The Sensational She-Hulk, and
in one "two-in-one" issue of The Thing and Iron Man, and one of The Thing
and Quasar; at least one Monsters on the Prowl and Worlds Unknown (these
are all Marvel).  Dino Riders was a short-lived Marvel series featuring
dinosaurs, as were The Destroyer and Dreadland.

There was one dinosaur issue that I know of for The Super Friends, and at
least three for Superman Action Comics; also Team Titans; Spelljammer;
Blackhawk; Suicide Squad; Time Masters; Lobo; Mystery in Space (these are
all DC), and DC Unexpected.

Miscellaneous comics:  Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds and Monster Hunters
(both Charlton Comics); Adventures into the Unknown (American Comics
Group); Twisted Tales (Pacific Comics); Weird Science-Fantasy
(Entertaining Comics); Tor no. 2 in 3-D, with 3-D glasses included
(Eclipse); Blood & Roses (Sky Comics); Epic Comics Book Four anthology;
Mechanics, by Fantagraphic Books--stated as recommended for mature
readers--suffice it to say it's not politically correct in portrayal of
female characters; Cave Woman also has rather sexist art; X-O Manowar by
Valiant; Dark Horse Monsters by Dark Horse Comics; there was a three-part
series called Dinosaur Rex by Upshot Graphics; two issues of Creepy
(Warren); Tragg and the Sky Gods (Gold Key); Archer & Armstrong
(Valiant).  Issues/series for which I didn't have the publisher info
handy include: Dinosaur Shaman; Eerie; Green Lantern; Naza; Power Pack;
Strange Adventures; Strange Sports Stories; Sun Runners; Tyrant; Wonder
Man.

Tarzan was mentioned--there was a series by Dell, and another one later
by Marvel, both with some dinosaurs.  Then, don't forget Korak, Son of
Tarzan, who also clashed with dinosaurs.

There were 6 issues of King Kong by Monster Comics (about 1991).

Hanna Barbera had a sereis called Valley of the Dinosaurs.

Dell put out some "comics" with dinosaurs including three issues of The
Outer Limits, and the"movie classics" Dinosaurus! and Journey to the
Center of the Earth; Dell's Animal World was a sort of educational comic
on dinosaurs.  Gilberton Co. put out a "Classics Illustrated" series
including The Illustrated Story of Prehistoric Animals (1959); this
series also included A Journey to the Center of the Earth.

In a lighter vein:  one Mickey Mouse has already been mentioned; there
was also Mickey Mouse in "A Snatch in Time."  Don't forget Uncle Scrooge
in "Coffee, Louie or Me?" and Donald Duck in "The Golden Dinosaur."

University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.