Re: Stegosaur plates as protection......

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 06:54 PM 6/30/97 -0500, Mark wrote:
> >
> >Jurassic theropods were certainly not so top-heavy as a T. rex, but I still
> >rather doubt they would have grabbed a Stegosaur by the underside of the
> >throat.
>
> Especially since the neck of Stegosaurus, at least, was heavily armored, as
> documented by the two road-kill specimens and excellently mounted by Ken
> Carpenter in the Denver Museum.  (The technology to do such mounts was
> absent in previous decades, so none of the older mounts show the "chainmail"
> arrangement of armor on the neck of Stegosaurus).

I've seen this mount and it really was quite impressive. It significanly
changed my view of stegosaurus' only defense being its tail. Those throat
ossicles don't look to be  nearly as protective as a shell, but would
certainly give pause and some sore teeth to any theropod that thought it
could chomp down into the squishy parts.

----Steve