Re: Stegosaur plates as protection......

At 08:49 AM 7/1/97 -0700, Randy King wrote:
>Great, there goes the basis of my whole argument.  :)
>But I can't think of anything better.  Anyway, an armored throat
>would suggest that that was important to defend.

Having seem the mount in question, the throat armor is, indeed, fairly
impressive, though not as hard as that of an ankylosaur.

> I might suggest
>that the throat was armored first, followed by the back?  Hey, don't
>take that as gospel.

Structurally the throat scales are very, *very* different than the dorsal
plates.  It is quite unlikely the plates are an extension of the throat
armor.  The result of such an extension would be something like
_Pinacosaurus_ or _Hylaeosaurus_.  (Hey - a theory of the origin of
ankylosaurs!!)

Whatever selective processes led to the development of the plates of
_Stegosaurus_, they were different than the selection that produced the
neck scales.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com