Re: your mail

At 02:12 PM 6/30/97 -0500, Chuck Prime wrote:
>... There is this roadcut in ND where I find leaves, and once upon a
>time thought I was also finding "twigs." Upon more thoughtful
>examination, these "twigs" were grassblades, very similar to those
>which were alive and growing among the nodules I was looking at there
>in the Bullion Creek formation, south central ND.

I would be *very* cautious about identifying grasses per se just from
leaves.  Grass leaves really do not differ much from those of sedges, or
several other groups of "grass-like" monocots.  Even cattail leaves cannot
be reliably distinguished from those of robust grasses unless they are whole.

Yes, there were grass-like plants in the Late Cretaceous.  Whether they
were grasses, sedges, cattails, or some group ancestral to all of the above
is impossible to say just on the basis of the fragmentary leaves I have
seen pictures of.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com