ERIC RIDES AGAIN

Could some kind soul please fwd this to Paul.. cheers.

RE: the recent questions as to the identity of 'Eric' (the opalized pliosaur
from Coober Peedy, South Australia)..

Paul Willis wrote..

> My copy of Long's Dinosaurs of Australia makes no mention of Eric and it
> can not be shoe-horned into any of the taxa he mentions there (however,
> mine is a first edition and he may have updated in later editions). Eric
> most closely resembles Pyramus from Africa.

'Eric' is a leptocleidine - one of a group of small-bodied (2-3 m)
lagoonal/marginal marine/?freshwater pliosaurids that lived in the early
Cretaceous of England (_Leptocleidus superstes_), South Africa (_L. capensis_)
and Australia (taxa unnamed ASAIK).

_Peyerus_ (what Paul called, whoops, 'Pyramus' [nice try Paul;-)] was the
generic name originally given to _L. capensis_ - it's been considered only
dubiously distinct from _L. superstes_ for a long time, and Arthur Cruickshank
(1997, _Annals of the South African Museum_) has just officially sunk it. No
more _Peyerus_.

Other Aussie plesiosaur material, such as that referred to _Dolichorhynchops_,
should not be confused with 'Eric'.

Oh, congrats Paul on the _Kambara implexidens_ paper. It's one of the best vert
palaeo papers I've ever read.

"There is not merely one world, one earth, one sun, but as many worlds as we see
bright lights around us. And they are no less inhabited, and no less noble, than
our own"

The countdown begins: 30

DARREN NAISH