Re: The Summers Theory

On Jul 3,  3:11am, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> Since the common ancestor of chimps, gorillas, and humans has not yet been
> identified in the fossil record, it's a bit premature to comment that humans
> are "more evolved" than chimps or gorillas. It is presently more likely that
> chimps, gorillas, and humans are all about equally "evolved" from the common
> ancestor (whatever that may mean).
>-- End of excerpt from Dinogeorge@aol.com

Yes - presumably the calculation of the chimp/human divergence date ASSUMES
equal rates of mutation in each line. I don't see what other assumption we can
make..

The human apomorphs seem to be largely due to changes in genes controlling
development.
We may be more 'ancestral' than chimps with other genes.

Tony

tonyc@foe.co.uk