Re: "Morosaurus" agilis

In a message dated 97-07-04 04:03:08 EDT, fuzzgod@hotmail.com (Bronson
Barton) writes:

<< Can anyone tell me what is going on with _"Morosaurus" agilis_.  I mean
 _M._ is basically a dead genus right?  (Junior synonym of
 _Camarasaurus_.)  But _"M."agilis_ is a cetiosaurid, am I correct?  Why
 can't we use the _Morosaurus_ name and make _M.agilis_ the type species,
 instead of making a new generic name? (This same thing probably could've
 been done with _Anatosaurus_ et _Anatotitan_).  Is there something wrong
 with this reasoning?>>

Morosaurus is not a dead genus; it is a junior synonym of Camarasaurus. As
such, it still preoccupies any subsequent usage of the generic name
Morosaurus for a different animal. The original name of the type species of
Morosaurus is Morosaurus impar. This, however, turned out to be a junior
synonym of Marsh's earlier-named species Apatosaurus grandis. In turn, this
caused Morosaurus impar to be renamed Morosaurus grandis, which is the
present name of the type species. Then it transpired that Morosaurus (the
genus) is a junior synonym of Camarasaurus (the genus), though Morosaurus
grandis is a separate species from Camarasaurus supremus (the type species of
Camarasaurus). So the species was renamed--a second time--Camarasaurus
grandis. Even under the name Camarasaurus grandis, it remains the type
species of the genus Morosaurus.

<< What is the deal with _"Carnosaurus"_ and _"Coelurosaurus"_... I know
 they're both noomin nudia, named by von Huene in 1929.  Why can't we
 just obliterate the names if they have no scientifical value, or open
 them up to be able to be used for some other genus or something.
 Anything!!!   >>

These are indeed nomina nuda, without named type species, which means they
have no scientific status. So it is possible for someone to describe two
dinosaurs under the generic names Carnosaurus and Coelurosaurus; they are
available and are not preoccupied by Huene's non-scientific usages.