Sea serpents, humor, and misc.

Ladies and germs,

Ben Roesch recently mentioned that he is compiling
accounts of alleged "sea serpent" carcasses.  I wanted
to mention, for anyone who may have missed my
annoucement several weeks ago, that I have a web
site article addressing one of the most famous
"sea monster" carcasses, netted by a Japanese
trawler in 1977 off the coast of New Zealand.
Although often cited as a likely modern plesiosaur
by creationists and popular press authors, several
lines of evidence strongly point to the carcass
being a decayed bsaking shark.  The article should
be published in NCSE Reports later this year.  The
URL of the web version is:

http://members.aol.com/paluxy2/plesios.htm

I also wanted to mention that I've added some
new pages to my K-Paleo web site.  One is
"Paleo Humor"--a collection of jokes, stories,
and student/teacher humor on relating to
paleontology and science in general.

I've also expanded my Field Trip Preparation page,
adding links to trip checklists, mapping
sites, weather, motel and hotel directories,
etc.

The address of K-Paleo is:

http://members.aol.com/fostrak/kpaleo.htm

One last thing.  A friend sent me a copy of a booklet from
creationist John Morris of ICR in California
reviewing the Lost World movie.  It contains many
errors, but one point especially caught my
attention.  Morris asserts that at the rate
at which DNA normally degrades, none should be
found after about 10,000 years.  I know claims
about finding Mesozoic DNA have been disputed, but
does anyone know the approximate age of the oldest
DNA finds that have not been disputed?

Thanks.

Glen Kuban
paleo@ix.netcom.com