Re: Colonial birds (was re: triceratops question)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Dann Pigdon wrote:
> The Maiasaura may have been a "good mother" to her
> offspring, but based on modern analogies perhaps she was not such
> a good aunt.

Birds may not be good analogues in this respect.  Since birds have wings
(or in the case of penguins, fins) they can be a lot more choosy about
where they make their nests. Dinosaurs had no such differential transport
ability relative to those who would attack their nests, i.e., other
dinos.  Such constant torment might put a higher selective value on
communal defence (for all we know).  For example, kin selection genes may
have had a better chance to take hold in the cretaceous selection
environment.