Re: triceratops question

Brian Franczak wrote:
> No, Christopher, there is no fossil evidence to support this idea. And even
> though many books (and your video) still write about and show illustrations
> of this behavior, it never happened because it doesn't make any sense as a
> behavior for horned dinosaurs. In the present day, musk oxen protect their
> young from wolves in this manner. But musk oxen live in very open areas
> with little plant-life to provide a place to hide. _Triceratops_ and other
> horned dinosaurs, on the other hand, lived in heavily-wooded areas and
> wouldn't need to evolve the type of behavior we see in musk oxen.

don't elephants exhibit the same behavior?  They aren't horned but the
size of the tusks of the female african elephant readily compares to the
length of the horns of Triceratops and I can easily see similarities of
other possible uses between the tusked and the horned.  Admittedly we
see no herding evidence YET for ANY Triceratops, but we can't dismiss
it, nor even the possibility of individual parents raising their own
young on their own and such adult-juvenile associations are not YET out
of the question.  So the occasion of a single or a couple of adults
protecting the smaller juveniles by placing themselves between the
juveniles and danger (pointy end out) is not totally out of the
picture.  Nor is the herd entirely out of the picture-though I sure
would like to hear more ffrom Darren about that bonebed with juveniles
they're working on........
--
           Betty Cunningham