First person to propose Dinos = Birds ??

While Dr. Bakker has certainly popularlized the notion recently, I'm
vaguely aware that the idea of dinos and birds being "related" did not
originate with him and that it dates back a few decades.

Can anyone tell me what the etymology of the notion is? I'm aware that
the Victorians considered some of the early dinosaur remains to be those
of giant birds, but that's all my muddled mind will dredge up at the
moment.

thanks in advance!

E. Summer

Dinosaur Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science Site of the Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html
Book Three of the Teddy Trilogy. Member of The Author Ring.

Laser Publishing Group
Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502