[Fwd: Re: Sauropods]

--- Begin Message ---
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 09:27 AM 7/10/97 -0400, Steve Tomporowski wrote:
> >
> >I remember reading from Uncle Bob's book that only one genus, Alamosaurus
> >(hope I spelled it right) existed in the Cretaceous (or was it Late
> >Cretaceous).  What's the current status of sauropods in the Cretaceous?
> > Have more species have been found?
>
> (Ah, joys, not this again... :-S )
>
> Well, Alamosaurus is the only known sauropod from the Late Cretaceous OF
> WESTERN NORTH AMERICA.  (Okay, Dyslocosaurus *might* be from the Late K of
> western North America, but it might instead be from the Late Jurassic).
>
> However, Late Cretaceous sauropods are present in Asia (the titanosaurid? /
> brachiosaurid? / diplodocoid? genera Nemegtosaurus and Quaesitosaurus), and
> are a dime a dozen for the rest of the world.  Titanosaurid sauropods are
> the most common dinosaurs in the Late Cretaceous of South America, India,
> Africa, and Europe.  In fact, the largest known sauropods (barring the
> possibly-mythical Amphicoelias fragillimus and the quite real Supersaurus)
> are all Late Cretaceous South American forms: Argyrosaurus, Antarctosaurus
> giganteus, and Argentinosaurus.
>
> Sauropods are also very common in the Early Cretaceous worldwide, including
> western North America (the famous Paluxey Tracksite of Texas, with the
> Acrocanthosaurus footprints following the sauropod) are from the later part
> of the Early Cretaceous.  Despite Bakker's publications to the contrary, I
> do not know of any sauropod family which is present in the Late Jurassic
> which is not also present in the Early Cretaceous.  Perhaps there is a
> decline in within-family diversity for most of these groups, but the main
> lineages are still present.

Brooks Britt (SVP abstracts last year) has both a true titanosaur and a
camarasaurid from early Cretaceous Barremian of Utah (Nearly complete
skeletons with much of their skulls) Lots of folks have studied them
(McIntosh, Curtice, Carpenter ect.) and agree with Brooks.
        Then there is Pleurocoelus (= Astrodon) from the Apt-Alb. from the
material I have excavated out here on the Colorado Plateau it certainly
appears to be a Brachiosaurid. It even has that cute slooping little
butt.

Jim K.

--- End Message ---