Re: Thousands of dinosaur footprints found in Australia

>Someone else correct me please, but that date also seems a bit young
>for _Stegosaurus_.  It seems odd to me that the animals they mention
>explicitly are Jurassic animals but all the times they mention are
>Cretaceous.  I do know of the stolen Stegosaur footprints, but I don't
>remember their age.

The five-toed prints intepeted as being stegosaur are known (and stolen
from) the Broome area and yes, they are all early Cretaceous in age. This
may be a bit young from a Northern Hemisphere perspective but a number of
old taxa have turned up down here long after they disappeared up there (eg,
labyrinthodonts in the early Cretaceous of Victoria). We are planning a
revenge on this one with an increasing number of taxa that seem to appear
first here before turning up in the NH (eg other Victorian early Cretaceous
taxa such as the ceratopsian and the oviraptid).

>Anybody have any ideas on what can be done to improve Reuter's
>accuracy of reporting?  I think just about every such report I've seen
>on dinosaurs has had glaring errors; I presume that their inaccuracies
>aren't limited to their coverage of paleontology...

Leigh Dayton from the Sydney Morning Herald filed this repor and a string
of others this week from the CAVEPS (Conference on Australian Vertebrate
Evolution and Palaeontology) held in Perth. Don't worry, I'll button-hole
her at the next available opportunity.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis