Re: Thousands of dinosaur footprints found in Australia

>        It might be also productive to email the provincial government and
>implore them to protect the site.  I did a Yahoo search and fired off a
>couple messages to that effect to some Aussie agencies.

Western Australia (the state - we don't have provinces - where the
footprints are located) is currently in the hands of a government slightly
to the right of Attila the Hun and the environment and science are the
lowest priority ofr their attentions. Added to this there are complicates
laws concerning indigenous land ownership that are causeing all kinds of
strife and some of the footprints are considered sacred sites to the local
people. While I heartily agree that the site does require protection, The
State Government of WA is probably not the way to go at this stage.

A more likely prospect would be World Heritage protection, which is a
Federal Government concern. But there are some significant stumbling blocks
here. While undoubtedlt an important site, would it meet the requirements
of being a World Heritage site? Also, the current Federal Government is a
little to the left of Attila with a penny pinching attitude to everything
and a low aptitude for conservation, environment and science matters. Added
to this they are appearing more and more incompetant at the general day to
day functions of government and finding it increasingly difficult to cope,
so why would they be interested in a bunch of old footprints?

And before I get flamed or blamed for trying to start a political debate
onto the list, I am only raising issues that would need to be considered
when approaching the protection of the Broome site. Unfortunately, 90% of
these issues are political.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis