Re: Therizinosaurus

At 03:55 PM 7/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
> My question is, what is known of the therizinosaur
>>humerus articulation with the shoulder girdle? What movements could have
>>been achieved in addition to locomotor activity?
>>
>>Sam
>
>Could the thing have been a hanging climber, like a sloth?

        I sure doubt it. These guys were modest-to-fair-sized dinosaurs (but
very large by modern standards), and it would have to be a very
sturdy-branched tree. The feet look completely useless for climbing. The
neck looks good for grazing, and I presume a therizinosaur could achieve a
bipedal pose for high-up foraging. I know that Enigmosaurus mongoliensis was
found associated with taxodiaceous (cypress) foliage, and cypress branches
look about the right height for where E. mongoliensis' head would be.
        It looks like therizinosaurs avoided really arid areas (Nemegt
Formation being the exception), and I don't think they have been found away
from lacustrine or fluvial depostional environments often. I am interested
by Phil Currie's claim of an Erlikosaurus frontal from the Judith River
Group in Alberta (DPP, I assume). Has this find been confirmed by further
therizinosaur material from Alberta?

Sam