Re: books and komodo dragons

At 05:11 PM 14/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Since the subject of Komodo Dragons has been raised more than once on the
>list and since I haven't seen this mentioned before, the Metro Toronto
>Zoo has at least one Komodo Dragon on display for the summer.  The animal(s)
>has been lent to the Zoo by the Indonesian (I hope this is right) government.
>So if anyone is planning to visit Toronto this summer you might want to go
>to the zoo to have a look.

I was actually disappointed with the dragons.  They are VERY young.  I know
all of them start out that way, but the commercials show adult dragons.
They do have three dragons (I saw two when I went).  They are still worth
seeing, but they are no bigger than the other monitors at the Zoo.  As for
active/passive predators, they mostly just lie there.  I guess there is
little need for activity when a keeper lobs you a dead bunny every so often.

By the way, I am in no way knocking the Metro Toronto Zoo, I have been a
member for years now and am planning to be one for years to come.  I can't
wait for the African Savana to open in 1998.  Oh, but come to visit the
Komodo Dragons this year anyway!

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com
http://www.interlog.com/~dinoguy