Feather removal by birds

>Do any birds do this now (flightless or otherwise)??? I don't have
>aproblem accepting that they used molted or lost feathers, but ripping
>them out???

   Ripping may not be the right word. . .  But when it gets really hot, the
geese in my backyard pull their feathers out.  Sometimes they can leave a
substantial quantity behind.  (The feathers may be naturally loose anyway;
they may just be emergency-molting and then the geese pull them out the
rest of the way.)

   Hope this isn't too far off the dino-topic.

T.A. Curtis
kodiak@inetworld.net / 619.669.1801
13980 Lyons Valley Road
Jamul, CA   91935-2024