Re: SCARS ON NMNH P-16106

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 Tetanurae@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

> My question is: is it possible to tell if these puncture wounds were a) the
> cause of death or happened during an attack that was the cause of death or b)
> were caused by a scavenging theropod long after death?

<snip>

Hi Peter,

I think that it is fairly easy to tell if the wounds had healed (survived
attack), but the difference between freshly killed and scavenged would be
difficult (I'm guessing impossible). That kind of distinction is possible
with soft tissue cues, but as we can't expect any of those, we are out of
luck as far as distinguishing cause of death vs scavenged.

Matt