Re: Dino sex

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:29:50 -0400 Compy07 <joe-moro@geocities.com>
writes:
>This is _VERY_ unlikely, but what if some dinos (ankylosaurs) and
>others
>that seemd impossible use the fish's mthod? Leave the sperm near the
>female, and have her get it off the ground somehow?????? Would this
>work?

Well, salamanders make it work on land, but there would have to be high
humidity and/or a short period of time exposed to air for the
"spermatophore," or it may dry out.  On the other hand, if we're talking
dinosaurs, these would be *big* spermatophores, and I doubt they'd dry
out all that quickly.  This means the females should be limber enough to
pick the spermatophore up with their cloacas like salamanders do.  I
wonder if any dinosaur that's high up off the ground would be able to do
that manuveur without really stressing their joints? Maybe she'd just sit
on it?

This is all speculation on my part.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com