Kudos to Glut

     Having just received a copy of Don Glut's dinosaur encyclopedia, let
     me add my voice to those singing its praises.  I only skimmed the
     text, but the book is going to be very useful for the illustrations
     and the artwork alone.  Some of you may know that I have a bit of a
     thing for complete foot skeletons of theropods, ornithopods, and
     ground birds.  Don's book drew my attention to several dinosaur feet
     that I'd somehow missed in going through the literature.  I spent a
     very pleasurable weekend going through the encyclopedia, sticking in
     pieces of paper to mark feet that I need to check into more carefully.
     So if you can afford it, I highly recommend that you get this book.
     It's going to crowd out several others on the shelf where I keep the
     books that I have to refer to most frequently.

     But having praised somebody else's book, I find myself so lacking in
     moral fiber as to be unable to avoid inserting a completely
     gratuitous, self-serving comment to the effect that Mike Brett-Surman
     and I have just now finished going through the galleys of our dinosaur
     book for Indiana University Press, _The Complete Dinosaur_.  We've
     busted our butts off working on this thing the last few years, and IU
     Press has done a bang-up job in layout for it.  They are type setting
     it in-house, so Mikey and I have been able to add last-minute
     references to make the book as up to date as possible.  And the
     artwork will be to die for:  Lots of new or seldom-seen stuff by
     Braginetz, Felder, Ford, Franczak, Halleck, Paul, Skrepnick, Walters,
     and others.  It's supposed to be out in November.