Re:Caudo-femoralis remodeling

At 09:38 AM 7/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>   I also believe that the caudo-femoralis (or is it caudi-femoralis?) was
>>the major propulsive muscle group in dinosaurs.
>>Mark Shelly
>
>This has already been stated by Steve Gatesy in his numerous publications
>on the topic (e.g. 1990's caudofemoral musculature and the evolution of
>theropod locomotion, Paleobiology 16(2): 170-186; also see chapter in
>Thomason's Functional Morphology in Vertebrate Paleontology tome, and
>references therein); it does seem quite apparent that the caudofemoralis
>longus was a major femoral retractor in many non-maniraptoran dinos, as in
>other Reptilia.

See also the latest publications on the subject:

Gatsey, S.M. & K.P. Dial.  1996.  Locomotor modules and the evolution of
avian flight.  Evolution 50: 331-340.

Gatsey, S.M. & K.M. Middleton.  1997.  Bipedalism, flight, and the evolution
of theropod locomotor diversity.  Journal of Vert Paleo 17(2): 308-329.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661