Re: Velociraptor footprints

At 12:17 PM 7/24/97 -0400, Mark Shelly wrote:
>   Have we foung 2 toed theropod footprints that we can attribute to
>velociraptors and other dinosaurs we speculate kept their large toe claws
>off the ground while walking?

        No. And I doubt that didactyl theropod tracks will ever be found in
any great numbers (extraordinary preservational circumstances and injuries
being the exceptions). It does not make sense to me for an animal to spend
most of its life with a digit retracted. The only evidence cited for this
posture is that it would reduce claw wear, but no "hard" evidence exists.

Sam